Sunday, August 1, 2010

The Jamaica Cultural Development Commission (JCDC) Award Ceremony & Exhibition

In September of 2009, I made the decision to enter into the world of photography to see what I could learn, and where it could take me. I purchased a Canon SLR Camera, and joined the UWI Camera Club.
Fast forward to May 2010...I submitted three pieces of work-entirely unrelated to each other to the 2010 JCDC Visual Arts Competition...see below...

Misty Morning - ISO 400 | 1/800 | f/9


Matter of Perspective


An Island Awakens - ISO 400 | 1/200 | f/14

Of the three images submitted, two were accepted into the competition, and the third: "Misty Morning" was returned to me. "Matter of Perspective" earned me a Certificate of Merit, while the third image shown above: "An Island Awakens" earned me a silver medal, a trophy for Most Outstanding NewComer, as well as a trophy for Most Outstanding Emerging Artist 30 yrs and under.

I am proud to say that in my very first year of photography, and my very first year entering the JCDC festival, I earned all those awards :)

I would be remiss if I did not mention my future husband (in a little over a month :]) Julian Dadag, a professional photographer. Julian entered three pieces as well into the JCDC visual arts competition. One was returned, and he earned a silver medal and a bronze medal for his work, and shared Top Photographer with a fellow entrant. He helped foster my interest in photography, and my drive to produce amazing images. I have quite a way to go...and alot more to learn, but at this point I am sure that I made the right decision to do photography :)

**Please come and see my work at the UWI Camera Club Annual Exhibition at the Phillip Sherlock Centre at UWI...opening night August 31, 2010, and continuing for the month of September

A fellow photographer friend Kirk Martin was present to help with the PR (thanks Kirk :])...see pics below :)

Accepting my Trophy for Most Outstanding NewComer
Accepting my 2nd Trophy for Most Outstanding Emerging Artist
Mingling with the crowd after the award ceremony
Julian and I with our images (Julian's 2 images, and one of mine)
Its a happy day for both of us :)
Posing with one of my images (Top left) and my trophies
Posing with my second entry, and my trophies
I have to also thank my friends and family, who are very supportive :)
Congratulations to other members of the UWI Camera Club: Diallo Dixon, and Julian Cresser who walked away with awards as well.

2 comments: